Help with online access to your personal account
How to register, log in, and manage your username and password
Click "Log In" at the top of any Principal.com page, enter your username and password and click the “Log in” button.
If you haven’t yet registered to access your account information online, it’s no problem. Simply click “Create an account”, choose “Individuals” as your role and click “Create an individual account” button. Then, simply follow the instructions on the screen to create your personal login credentials.
Don’t worry; it happens! We can help you recover your username or reset your password online.
If you forgot your username:
- Go to the Forgot username page.
- Choose “Individuals” as your role and click “Continue”.
- Enter the email address you use to do business with us, and we'll send you an email with your username.
If you forgot your password:
- Go to login page.
- Click the “Forgot password?” link under the Log in button.
- Enter your username.
- We'll provide you a verification code by text, voice call or an authenticator app. Which one we send it to depends on the option(s) you registered.
- After you've correctly entered your code, you'll be prompted to reset your password.
- You can then use this new password to log in to your account online.
You can also call us at 800-986-3343 for assistance.
- Enter your first name, last name, date of birth, phone number (this is the quickest way to verify your identity, as we'll simply text you or call you with a unique verification code), and your ID number (this is either your Social Security Number or a number provided by your employer) or zip code.
- Agree to do business electronically.
- If the phone number you provided doesn't match our records, you'll need to verify your identity by answering a few questions administered by a trusted third-party (Principal® does not have access to the information shown in this step of the process).
- Create a unique username, secure password, and provide an email address.
- Select and answer 3 customer service security questions we'll use to verify your identity if you need to call us.
- You'll get a confirmation email within a few minutes.
- Once you get that email, you can log in and access your account online.
Note: The first time you log in, you’ll need to set-up 2-factor authentication by choosing how you want to receive verification codes; text, voice call and/or an authenticator app. We’ll ask for a verification code if you log in from an unrecognized computer or phone, forget your password, or we identify anything out of the ordinary. These codes help us confirm it’s really you accessing your account – not someone pretending to be you.
2-factor authentication is a security measure that helps prevent cybercriminals from accessing your account – even if they have your password. Here’s how it works: If you log in from an unrecognized computer or mobile phone, forget your password, make important changes to your account, or if we identify anything out of the ordinary, we’ll send you a unique verification code to confirm it’s really you – not someone pretending to be you. You’ll then enter that unique code, along with your username and password, to access your account.
Voice call is when we call you to provide a verification code. If you register for voice call, you will be asked to provide a phone number. The number you provide can be a mobile phone or landline phone.
Anytime we call the number you registered to provide you a verification code, you will need to answer the phone to receive the code. If you don’t answer the phone or don’t get to it soon enough, we will not leave the code on a voicemail. If that happens, you will have to select the “call with another code” option on the screen.
When you answer the phone, we will indicate that it is Principal calling with a verification code. You will press #1 to indicate you are ready for the code. The code will be said out loud three times. It will say the code the first time. Then it will say "again" and then repeat the code. It will say "one last time" and then repeat the code. 第三次后,它会说“再见."
If you choose to provide your phone number (mobile or landline) during the authentication process, we will only use it for the purpose for which you have given us consent. In this case, we only use it for security purposes. Please review our security policies for additional information on the various methods we use to protect customer and account information.
An authenticator app is a third-party app that you can download and install on your mobile device or computer. Once you register the app for 2-factor authentication on our site, the app will generate a verification code that you use to log in. There are a lot out there, and most of them should be compatible with your Principal account. If you’re not sure, here are a few options to consider below:
- For mobile devices, consider using Microsoft Authenticator, Google Authenticator, Authy or LastPass.
- For desktop computers, consider Authy.
Even though there are a lot of apps to choose from, they all share the same concept: open the app, choose the account you’re trying to log into, and the app will generate a unique code that can only be used once.
Authenticator apps are very secure. The codes are regularly refreshed and are unique to the device used to view it. Plus, if someone else were trying to gain access to your account, it’s far more difficult for them to intercept your code since it’s generated through a software installed on your device.
While there are a variety of authenticator apps to choose from, below are instructions for downloading Authy (a third-party app) on a mobile device. It only takes about two minutes to download and verify the Authy app. You can choose any authenticator app, the instructions for other apps will be similar to the ones below.
Downloading and installing the Authy app
- Open the App Store or Play Store and search for Authy. Their icon is a red square with 2 interlocking white links.
- Download the Authy app.
- Open the downloaded Authy app on your mobile device.
- Enter your mobile number, including the Country Code.
- Tap on the space for the Country Code and it will let you search for the country. If you type in ‘UNITED’ it will display results that include ‘UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.’ The country code for USA is +1. International numbers can be used.
- Enter the rest of your mobile phone number.
- Enter your email address (any email address, so that Authy can contact you).
- Click OK.
- As part of the setup, Authy needs to send a code to your mobile device. Select whether you want that code delivered by Phone Call or SMS (text message).
- Answer your phone or check your text messages to get the registration code. Enter the code on the screen in the Authy app. The screen will say “Enter your registration code: and there’s a line where the Registration Code will be entered.
- If Authy asks to send you Notifications, you can select Not Now or Allow.
- Authy will ask you to set up a backup password. This is a good idea in case you lose your device or accidentally delete your Authy app. Make up a password and write it down, storing it somewhere safe. You can skip this step in the top right corner of the app.
Follow these steps to add Principal to your authenticator app:
- Find the “Add Account” button and tap it.
- The app should then say at the top, “Scan the QR Code on the website where you are enabling 2FA.” At the bottom of that screen click the blue bar that says Scan QR Code, which will activate the camera.
- If you are setting up an authenticator app on our website and you haven't registered for another form of 2-factor authentication, you will need to choose the “Set up an authenticator app”. Simply click the Continue button to get started. If you have already registered for another form of 2-factor authentication, like text messages, then to add Principal to your authenticator app, you can log in to your account at china-jqm.com and go to My Profile and then click on Manage 2-Factor Authentication Preferences. Next to Authenticator app there should be a blue button that says Connect Authenticator. Click that button.
- Once you click the Continue button or the Connect Authenticator button, the QR Code appears on the screen. You can either scan the code with your mobile phone or enter the 16 digit code.
- After scanning the QR Code, click the Continue button on our website. The screen will change and say, “Let’s confirm your authenticator app” with 6 spaces for a verification code.
- Go back to the Authy app, find the 6-digit code and enter the code on the pricipal.com screen. The code will change every 30 seconds so if the code displayed is almost ready to change you should wait and enter the next code.
- To finish adding Principal to your app, you can pick a logo (optional) and give the account a nickname (something that you will remember so next time you need to get a verification code to log in at china-jqm.com you'll know which one to choose).
- Finally, some backup codes will display on the Principal screen – you should save these codes somewhere safe to use as a back-up.
Log in and access your profile online to change your password, customer service questions and answers, mailing address, email address, mobile phone number, two-factor authentication security settings and more.
If you're having trouble logging in or unable to change your information online, please call us at 800-986-3343 and a customer service representative can help.
We’re sometimes unable to deliver a message to the email address we have on file for your account. We recommend double-checking the following:
- The spelling of your email address (Make sure you’ve typed it correctly.)
- Your inbox capacity (If your email inbox is full, you won’t receive any new emails.)
- Your Junk or Spam folder (To make sure Principal emails are delivered to your inbox in the future, please add our email address to your address book or “Safe Sender” list.)
Are you an employer?Switch to Help for Employers
Don't see the topic you need help with?
Give us a call.
- Retirement plan participants call 800-547-7754
- Mutual fund clients call 800-222-5852
- Everyone else call 800-986-3343
Or send us an email.
For the security of your account, we are unable to provide login assistance via email.